Sunday, January 27, 2008

Favorite Design


I have always been amazed by architecture, so it is hard for me to narrow it down to just one specific designed building.   One of my most recent favorite designs is the Michael Lee – Chin Crystal. For those that do not know what this is it is the new addition on the Royal Ontario Museum (ROM) in Toronto. The reason why this building is one of my favorite designs is because of its stunning architecture. The building is composed of many irregular angles that hang over the streets of Toronto. It interplays with the old building of the ROM as it does not look like a separate futuristic building. Its connection between the old and new building fits so well with downtown Toronto especially because Toronto is known for its vast variety of its different people, cultures and concepts.  The building itself is not only visually appealing from the outside; it is also fully functional for showing of historical and educational displays.  The addition to the ROM was inspired by the museums gem and mineral collection has now become a hidden gem within the city of Toronto.

For more information on this extraordinary building visit this website, http://www.rom.on.ca/crystal/ or just take a look for yourself and visit it in person!

 

3 comments:

Scott K said...

Yes the building is very cool but heres an interesting fact.

My brother is a Civil engineer who does building inspection, and you know what the biggest talk in the civil engineering community in the GTA is about. You guessed it the ROM. Believe me its not positive talk either. From what my brother has told me is that this building is facing so many structural problems that its unbelievable that it was ever built. The roof is leaking, there is already water damage from various drainage problems, and the thing possibly will collapse within the next 50 years.

Ive always been a firm believer that design is a great thing as long as it factors in function, which may just have been forgotten here.

Michael Lao said...

Wow, it does look amazing but its a disappointing to hear that news from what Scott is saying. Hopefully they fix or else they might be forced to closed it down. I have to admit thought, this building looks amazing.

RayDar said...

I knew that there were structural problems that they were having with the ROM. I chose to use this building as one of my favorite designs for that reason only. I love the architecture of this building and the design of both the outside and inside. It is a bad thing to hear when something that was just recently built is already falling apart, but for now it is one of my favorite designs and will continue to be until its gone.